Our Higher and Degree Apprenticeships in Quantity Surveying will give you all the experience, training and support you need to work towards becoming a future Quantity Surveyor who makes sure our developments make business sense and are built efficiently and sustainably.
Our Quantity Surveyors are responsible for overseeing the commercial side of housebuilding. This includes the analysis, preparation and management of all costs, from initial build cost assessments though to site completion, as well as the management of sub-contracts and materials required to make the build as effective as possible. You'll assist the site team in leading the development of a site from a cost perspective through to completion; liaising with trades and costing materials and goods, whilst meeting a challenging schedule on time, within budget, with a focus on quality and customers. We’re looking for switched-on, driven people who have a feel for business and want to help continue our success.
Through your training courses, you'll learn best practice, regulation and everything an exceptional Quantity Surveyor needs to know to become a master of their craft. By completing your qualification, you’ll be equipped with the most up-to-date information about planning and costing projects, as well as the people and management skills you need to grow professionally. For a detailed overview, including course length, click here.
Both of our apprenticeships award industry-recognised qualifications:
- Cert HE Professional Practice in Residential Development and Quantity Surveying for completion of our Higher Apprenticeship
- Professional Practice in Residential Development and Quantity Surveying Degree for completion of our Degree Apprenticeship
If you successfully complete the Higher Apprenticeship then you will be automatically enrolled onto the Degree Apprenticeship in the next academic year, however if you already possess the relevant entry criteria for the Degree Apprenticeship then you can start on this programme immediately.
£19,000 to £24,000 (negotiable with more experience)
We also provide one of the most generous benefits packages in the industry, including:
- Paid tuition fees
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Long service accrual holidays up to 28 days
- Ability to buy and sell holiday
- Staff discount on house purchase
- Sick pay
- Death in Service
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Construction Worker Helpline
- Range of enhanced family friendly policies
- Bupa Health and Wellbeing Services
- My Barratt Staff Shop (discount and high street vouchers)
In addition, with the My Barratt Benefits scheme you can sacrifice some of your salary for a range of benefits.
To join either of these apprenticeships, you must have the potential to focus on customer expectation and commercial needs, and understand the level of commitment that will be required from you to successfully manage working alongside furthering your education.
To qualify for a Higher Apprenticeship you’ll need one of the following:
- One A-Level and four GCSEs (C or above, or Grade 4-9) including Maths and English
- BTEC National Qualification
- Advanced Diploma in Construction or Built Environment
- Other access or foundation courses
Those completing the Higher Apprenticeship will automatically be enrolled onto the Degree Apprenticeship following completion, however if you have already obtained one of the following then you may be able to join the Degree Apprenticeship programme directly:
- A Cert HE in a construction related subject
- HNC in construction or equivalent qualifications
- Access – at least 45 credits at level 3 and 15 credits at level 2 from a relevant Open College Network accredited course
More experienced entrants without formal qualifications will be considered on merit, taking into account factors such as their work experience, previous qualifications or skills gained from the Armed Forces.
We have achieved 5 star housebuilder status and are the only major housebuilder to have been awarded the maximum 5 star rating for ten years in a row. It's also the 15th year our Site Managers have won more NHBC Pride in the Job Awards than any other housebuilder. Since 2018, 32 of our team have graduated with a BSc (Hons) Residential Development and Construction having spent five years on our programme. There is no better place to learn from the best and get your career off to the best possible start.
How to apply
1. Applications open
Remember, selection is a two-way process. We want to find out more about you. But it’s equally important you find out about us too.
Applications will be open between March and July, although some locations close their vacancies early so you are recommended to apply as soon as possible.
2. Apply online
Search and apply for the programme below, and make sure to attach your CV.
3. Video interview
If you are successful, you will be invited to participate in a video interview, where you will be asked questions about your key skills, commercial awareness and motivations.
4. University eligibility activities
If you are successful at the Video Interview stage, you will complete a series of activities to check your eligibility against the entry criteria. This will include:
- A university application
- A self-assessment of your current knowledge, skills and behaviour
- A functional skills review
- A conversation with a Work-Based Learning Coach
5. Final interview
Final interviews will take place from May onwards, with a Director at your local office.
6. Job offer
Successful applicants will receive their offers from May onwards.
7. Start your job
Start your job with us from July onwards, and your induction at Sheffield Hallam University the following January.